Sunday, August 2, 2009

Anyone else jealous?


Many of the schools in Georgia are going back to school this week. We had our tax free weekend this past weekend, where anything "back to school" related is tax free. I went shopping and saw many a child being forced to try on clothes, looking none to happy about it.

The thing is, I'm JEALOUS of these kids. I loved school. I was good at it. I loved getting bright and shiny new binders, organizing my subjects by tab, sharpening my #2 pencils, making book covers...and coming up with the "perfect" first day of school outfit.

Scott and I have had this conversation many times. We were both really good at school. It was something we had complete control over. Every good grade was a direct reflection of hard work, every bad one was a result of our own lack of preparation (for the most part.)

A lot of these kids can't wait to grow up and be through with school. They don't realize the carefree existence they live. With the real world comes responsibility: mortgages, bosses, car insurance, budgeting, the daily grind of 8-5, the worry of losing your job, trying to sell your home in the worst housing marketing in recent history (maybe that's just me!) the list goes on and on.

And while I know I wouldn't really go back, it is nice to ponder the good ole days where my job was to learn as much as I could and where seemingly my biggest problem was when my mother-prepared lunch contained the wrong kind of potato chips. And I'm always quick to tell kids..."Cherish these times...enjoy every day and don't try to grow up too quickly."


3 comments:

Emily Doss said...

I am jealous too! Even as a teacher for 5 years I got to experience that wonderful back to school time. Now that I'm not teaching anymore there is no reason to go back to school shopping at all. so sad.

Anonymous said...

Yes, they don't know how good they have it. But thinking of going back in time, to grade school, college, or just prior to significant events seems dangerous and exciting. Just imagine the decisions we'd change or the way we might act with the information we now possess.

Alison said...

I had my backpack and every last school supply ready to go early every year - I loved it!