Saturday, July 26, 2008

Being a tourist at home...

hey guys,
Before I forget...I uploaded a bunch of photos onto my flickr site tonight. You can link to it from the right side of my blog. Some from the beach vacation, our visit with Scott's family and our fun adventure this weekend. Here's a pic of my family from our recent vacation to Amelia Island, FL. So much fun!
We practically had the beach to ourselves and the weather was perfect... not even too hot.

Scott came home Thursday and we were "tourists" in Macon today. We are doing things here that we've never done because 1) we are about to move and 2) gas is so expensive! And in case anyone asks, we did NOT eat at NuWay Weiners, one of the top tourist attractions in Macon (featured on Food Networks "Best Hotdogs in America") We went to the Ocmulgee National Monument where there are Indian mounds from the Creek Indians. Here's a pic of Scott being an "Indian"on top of the temple mound. You can see downtown Macon in the background...we couldn't believe how close this nature was to downtown!


Here's a view from the temple mound to the wetlands. I think these Indian Mounds are the highest point in Macon. :)

Then we went to Dauset Trails Nature Center near Indian Springs State Park. Great places to visit. Dauset Trails is an educational center that is free due to an endowment from a couple of wealthy individuals who wanted to share nature with everyone. There are farm animals and an animal trail, hiking, biking and horse trails. It's a great place to bring kids. Indian Springs was the first State Park in the nation and the site of where the Creek Indians signed a treaty that ceded 4.7 million acres to the State of Georgia. Then we had ice cream at this delightful shop near Indian Springs... check out these flower boxes at the ice cream shop. I want to recreate this when we move...



So what kinds of things do you do when you are tourists in your own towns?

5 comments:

Cara said...

Hey Carmen - Looks like a fab family vacation. =)

I am not sure if you have heard about Bonnie Lowery but she was diagnosed with liver cancer in June. They called in Hospice earlier this week. It is just so sad.

In other related news, I was reading a CarePage the other day and the mom mentioned Dr. Ledbetter and I thought it might have been your dad. The little boy has leukemia and was in the PICU for Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. He is fighting though and we pray he pulls through. The family actually lives on Signal Mountain. The boy's name is Peyton Ogle and he is four.

I hope the move goes well for you guys!

Cara

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

hey Cara,
Not sure if you'll get this or not...thanks for sharing this. Is there a way i can get in touch with you? i'm going to try to post my email so you can email me... thanks!

Julie Scott said...

Hey Carmen. Hope you're doing well. I miss you, even though you still live here. We started choir last night, and it just isn't the same without you, friend.

I took your advice and started my own blog. Check it out at http://julieandbryanscott.blogspot.com

Cara said...

Hey Carmen - You can email me at cara_morgan012@comcast.net.

Cara

The Canada's said...

And in case anyone asks, we did NOT eat at NuWay Weiners, one of the top tourist attractions in Macon (featured on Food Networks "Best Hotdogs in America")

blasphemy!!!!