Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Transplantaversary!

February 13 has special significance to me.

February 13, 2003 was the day that my mother gave me life for the second time by donating her kidney to me. Once the doctors told us that a kidney transplant was inevitable, there was never ANY doubt in my mother's mind that she would be a match and that she would be the one to donate me a kidney. And there did seem to be a line forming on who was going to be the one to donate- including my 75 year old grandfather and namesake Luther Carmon (pictured here) I am so blessed with the family that was given to me!

My mother was right: She was a great match. In case you were wondering: you have to be in PERFECT health (physically and mentally) to be able to donate an organ. The doctors want to make sure they aren't creating another "sick" person down the road. I think my mother was the third person at Vanderbilt to donate a kidney laporoscopically (through the belly button.) Now that is done regularly and they are even removing kidneys vaginally now (read more here) Medical science is an amazing thing!

My mother and I always call each other on February 13 and wish each other a "Happy Transplantiversary." Happy 6 year's, Mom! You are my inspiration!

I'm sure glad this Valentine's day is different from 2003's!

1 comment:

Alison said...

Yea for a healthy mom and yea for a healthy you!