Monday, January 5, 2009

The first step to success...

I work at a Chamber of Commerce. We are (hopefully) the first step that people take when wanting to start a business. I love it when people come in with that excitement in their eyes about pursuing a lifelong dream. I almost feel like a hypocrite encouraging them to do something that I'm not sure I'd ever have the guts to do. It's so amazing to me that people are willing to take such tremendous risks- investing their life savings even- for a chance at something great.

I was recently in our community's Adult Learning Center and I noticed a quote on the chalkboard: "The first step to success is getting started."

That quote really struck a chord with me. There always seems to be some big obstacle between me and my dreams: geography, time, money to name a few. But I've recently learned that the biggest obstacle of them all is ME. I'm the one holding me back. I'm the one that's afraid to start things because of a fear of failure.

So tonight I decided that instead of vegging on the couch feeling sorry for myself, I was going to do something that I haven't done in years, but has always brought me joy. I broke out an easel Scott gave me for Christmas LAST year and painted. And it was liberating. And therapeutic. And wonderful. And I don't care what the end result looks like. It doesn't have to be perfect. It doesn't haven't to impress anyone. It doesn't have to ever hang on any wall.

Sometimes the first step to success is getting started...

1 comment:

Scott said...

I am proud of you for painting. I think it is something you do well...one of many things, in fact. I want you to chase your dreams...you just have to decide which dream you want to bless with your talent.