Saturday, January 3, 2009

Jack of all Trades...

So it's the beginning of another year. A time to reflect on who I am, what kind of a person I am, what am I doing with my life- those kinds of important questions. During one of my recent soul-searching adventures, I discovered that I strive to be good at everything. I read all these blogs and books- interior decorating, photography, cooking, health and fitness (just to name a few)- and I want to be good at all those things. And I am good at a lot of things. A well-rounded person, you might say. The problems lies in the fact that while I'm GOOD at a LOT of things, I'm not GREAT at any ONE thing. A certified "Jack of All Trades, Master of None..."

I've always admired my husband because he figured out pretty early on that he wanted to be a GREAT piano player (and in my humble opinion, he is.) Sure he dabbled with guitar and saxophone in high school, but once he figured out what his true passion was, he pursued it with everything that was in him. Both my younger sisters have discovered their passions- Megan with photography and Maddie with art. They are both in pursuit of their passions and are going to make careers of them.

So 2009 is going to be a new beginning for me. I'm not going to make the traditional "New Year's Resolution" to have a few goals to meet. I'm going to concentrate on figuring out what makes me tick, what brings me joy and what's important with my life and I'm going to pursue those things with passion. Not what I'm "supposed" to do or what's "expected" of me and not what I think will impress other people. I'm going to seek and then pursue those things that are important to me. This will be an interesting journey that I hope you will join me on...

4 comments:

Alison said...

Carr...you forget that you are a "Master of knowing every last lyric to every last song that has ever played on the radio". Seriously though, you are pretty amazing at a lot of things, but I also get where you are coming from - I'm the same way. Now, all these things are pulling me in so many directions that I need to focus. Maybe this will be our year!!

Joy said...

Yes, and don't forget, you are a "Master of Chattanooga Facts"... :) But seriously, this post made me think -- I need to buckle down and focus on that one thing I could do better at, rather than trying to do it all somedays!! Here's to the new year for us all!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and introspective post, and one that I know is from deep within your heart and soul. All of us deserve to find that happiness. You are an amazing person and you deserve to find passion, purpose, and a peace in your life. May you be truly blessed in 2009.

Tripp Walton said...

Carmen, I'll be praying for you on this. As you guys well know, I'm going through the same things. It's been interesting working on discovering my strengths/gifts/passions the past year or so...now I've just gotta apply them someplace! I will be excited to see where the Lord leads you in this, as well.