Monday, May 12, 2008

Crazy Week...

What's it like to be without power for 60+ hours? Ask me tomorrow, because we will be experiencing it.

It's been a crazy few days at the Copeland house. I left on Thursday for Savannah (aww, shucks) for a tour of the Port of Savannah... which deserves a post in itself. I'll post some pics of Forsyth Park and the Wormsloe State Historic Site later. Then Saturday I left for Chattanooga to attend a wedding for a friend from high school. As is custom, Scott was unable to attend (I swear that none of my friends believe I'm really married! This is what happens when you marry someone it the ministry...they can't attend Saturday night weddings!) It was nice to see some old friends and get to spend much of Mother's Day with my mom.

Scott calls me Sunday morning at 9:15 and tells me that Macon was practically leveled with storms early that morning. Scott posted about Macon taking a "smackdown" in his blog, and how they cancelled church (meaning, he could have gone to the wedding, oh well.) Well, we thought that we had escaped unscathed- we had power, cable, phones, everything UNTIL 2:45 p.m. I called Georgia Power about 6:30 p.m. to kindly ask them why we didn't lose power with the storm, but were without power now. The explained that they had to shut down the substation that serves our area to work on some other lines, but that our power would be up later that night. Soooo... later that night (around 9:30 p.m.) I call them and they began to explain that it would midnight Monday evening before the power would be back on. Great... we have absolutely no emergency preparations whatsoever. So we suffered through the evening (what did we DO before electricity!) and went our respective ways this morning. It's 6:30 p.m on Monday and I'm still at my job (because they have power and wi-fi) and Scott calls to tell me that he had called Georgia Power (and was not as kind) and that it is now going to be midnight Tuesday night before it's back up! Needless to say, I'm sure you'll see a funny post from Scott once he gets power again. I hope you guys are having a better week than us and the poor Georgia Power customer service reps and crews are! For pics of the damage in Macon go here

3 comments:

Gypsy Girl said...

I know how you feel...and I'm sorry to hear Macon had such a hard hit. China was hit with earthquakes, and you all with storms. I am thankful you both are ok. Make the best of it with a candlelit picnic...Love you! :)

Alison said...

Maybe you could read while Scott plays the piano...all by candlelight??? I would be going insane! Sorry girl!

The Canada's said...

Is the hot dog place OK?

Glad you are OK. Those pics of the damage is so widespread!

Make sure you always have a couple of decks of cards with your emergency supplies.