Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's official...

It's official. I am a professional vocalist now. Scott plays lots of weddings at Ingleside because his talent is on display every Sunday morning for more than 2,200 people. A recent bride, who had contracted his services ,asked him if I could sing at her wedding based on my performance at Easter. Saturday was the wedding and I sang "How Beautiful" during the seating of the mothers and Scott and I sang a duet called "We Will Dance" by Steven Curtis Chapman. This was the easiest money I have ever made. I like being a professional vocalist. :)

What's weird about this whole situation is that I have never been known as a singer. Many of you have known me since I was a child, and I was always known as a "jock" or a "brain"- not a singer. My parents are not musical and did not encourage us in this arena at all. I have always had an interest in music and singing, but never felt like I had the talent or measured up to the vocalists who had been singing since birth.

When I married Scott, he noticed that I had a "natural" talent and encouraged me to explore that talent whenever he could. He put me on his praise team at our little church in Nashville and I learned from the other singers to hear and pick out harmonies. Soon I was singing every week and singing different harmony parts. At one point it was like Scott had Wilson Phillips backing him up at church each Sunday.

Now we attend Ingleside and I have been a "singer" since we came here almost three years ago. People KNOW me as that. In fact, it's one of my defining characteristics. And I know that from now on, wherever Scott and I move, people are going to meet me and know me as a singer. What about you guys? Is there something that "defines" who you are now that would baffle your friends from childhood?

6 comments:

Alison said...

I'll have to think about this one. I don't have all your natural talent :). Maybe exercise? I didn't do anything athletic until college, but mainly after we got married. I'm not sure that counts as a "talent" though!!

Cara said...

Hmmm... I really don't know. I used to be known as a pretty good pitcher but I have let those skills fall by the waste-side. (this is Cara from your graduating class of '96)

I would love a YouTube clip of you guys singing together!

I know you posted about the organ donor thing, but did you know there is something that you can do now.. while you are living.. to save lives? Sign up on the bone marrow registry! It is free May 5-19 (it usually costs $52 to sign up) so please if you can, sign up today!

www.marrow.org

And sad news, did you hear about Coach Crane? He passed away on Friday at 57 years old. He had a heart attack. Mrs. Crane is still teaching at RBHS and this was going to be her last year and then she was moving to the new HS on Signal Mountain. So sad.

Bull said...

Wilson Phillips...nice. You should find some way to spiritualize "hold on" so you can duet that in church.

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

Cara,
So good to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Please keep in touch. Yes, I remember your pitching well..

I'm so sorry to hear about Coach Crane. Do you know how to get in touch with Mrs. Crane? I guess I could send a sympathy card to the school. She was always one of my favorite teachers...I actually GOT geometry because of her. Thanks for the heads up!

Cara said...

Carmen - You could probably send a card to the funeral home or to the school. I am sure either place would get it to her.

It is so scary when people our parents' age die so quickly and unexpectedly. I just saw Coach Crane last Sunday and he looked like the picture of health. It just terrifies me.

I loved your getting to know you post. I learned so much about you! Maybe one of these days I will start a blog as well. That would be fun.

Gypsy Girl said...

I used to be the quiet, timid girl. I actually dropped out of Public Speaking class my senior year of high school. Now people are surprised to hear that I travel around the world, and I speak at churches and even do most of the speaking when doing group presentations for class.

It's amazing how God changes us when it comes to doing things for Him.