Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I love the dark, but I HATE nature, I HATE nature...

Hey guys,

Let's just say that I've had a little too much interaction with nature lately... first there was the coyote that killed my cat. Then we found the bird's nest in our wreath hanging on the front door. We also had a HUGE alligator snapping turtle crossing our street during the monstrous floods we've had lately.

So, should I be surprised that I walked into my kitchen after a hard day's work to find this (did I mention we live in the country?):


I tried to pick it up by its tail, but it took off under the fridge. I wound up calling one of our friends who lives nearby (big shout out to Greg Tapley, my hero!) and after about 45 minutes we finally outsmarted the snake and was able to throw it outside. What a day?! What's next?
By the way, I'll post an update on the little baby birdies that have hatched in the wreath later. They are so cute!
Bonus points for anyone who can name where the title of the blog post came from...

7 comments:

Julie Scott said...

Maybe you could've beat the snake if you had grabbed IT first instead of your camera!

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

Very true, Julie. But it's something I couldn't resist taking a picture of. I know you understand with all the funny things your kids do. (i.e. the baby powder incident. ) :)

Anonymous said...

So are you going to name the snake Chunk? No, I suppose that doesn't make sense. But I think your puppies should have saved you from the snake. At least you caught it on camera, even if you couldn't catch it by hand.

Alison said...

Oh goodness. I don't know what I would have done. Garet & the kids did pull a turtle out of the neighbors pool yesterday, but a snake is a different story.

I'm guessing Stand by Me, and I didn't google it to cheat, so that's my guess.

Or wait, from Anonymous' comment, it must be the Goonies...

Sheila said...

Hey, watch the bird nest carefully. Snakes are drawn to nests for the eggs and/or baby birds. My parents had snakes come after bird nests twice. Watch around the door before opening it.

Joy said...

It's Goonies, right?

But oh my goodness -- I don't know how you did that -- you would have heard me screaming from all the way where you are!! And Alex wouldn't have been much help b/c he HATES snakes more than anything in this world!

Way to go, I am very impressed...

Greg Tapley said...

Thanks for the shout out but I was as much an observer as I was a helper. Carmen was braver at times than I was. Being a "hero" is probably 90% timing in this situation. I was glad to help though and glad that Carmen was proabably able to get a restful night's sleep.