Saturday, April 19, 2008

100 things about me...

So my friend Joy tagged me (thanks a lot, Joy!)

Here goes. This could get mighty random...

1. I was born on May 18, 1978 in Jackson, MS
2. My dad was a resident there.
3. He followed my mom there after they met at UAB when he was in Medical school and she was a dietician
4. But this is about me, not about them
5. My mom told me that the only time my dad got to see me was when she took me to lunch at the hospital
6. After Jackson we moved to Birmingham where my dad did a fellowship at UAB
7. Then we moved to Huntsville, where I attended kindergarten at Whitesburg Baptist Church
8. Then we moved to Chattanooga, where I attended first grade at Bachman Elementary school.
9. I met one of my best friends to this day in Mrs. McClister's 1st grade class. Her name is Gina and check out her blog here
10. Then in 2nd grade we moved BACK to Huntsville where I attended Jones Valley Elementary
11. Then in 3rd grade we moved BACK to Chattanooga where I lived until I graduated high school.
12. I loved moving back to Chattanooga because I learned cursive handwriting in 2nd grade in Huntsville and we were just learning it in 3rd grade in Chattanooga. My teacher let me "tutor" other students. I suppose that's where my bossy streak began...
13. A devastating tornado struck the elementary school I attended in Huntsville soon after I left. I remember that vividly as a child.
14. I am the oldest of three girls
15. I probably should have mentioned them earlier, but I got caught up in all the moves we made when I was a small child.
16. Megan was also born in Jackson, MS also, and we moved to B'ham when she was just 10 days old!
17. My mom is an awesome lady to put up with that!
18. Maddie was born when I was in the 3rd grade.
19. When I used to bring all my college friends home , she would always want to hang out with us and she would develop crushes on the boys.
20. I think there is still a tree near Signal Point that says, "Maddie Loves Chad"
21. "Little Maddie" is now 21 going on 22, and I know this freaks out many of those friends that knew her when she was a 9-10 year old
22. I played a lot of sports when I was growing up
23. I was a bit of a tomboy I guess you could say
24. It probably stems from the fact that my dad did not have any boys, so he had to teach us to throw the softball, football, etc
25. I actually wanted to try out for my middle school football team for the quarterback position
26. It made sense to me- at that age I was as big as most of the boys and I could throw better than them too!
27. My dad had to sit me down and explain to me that it was very dangerous to play football as a girl because of the ways girls differ from boys. That was an awkward conversation. :)
28. I have always loved to draw.
29. When I was a little girl, I wanted to be an "artist" when I grew up
30. When I got into high school, I changed that slightly and decided I wanted to be an architect.
31. I took drafting in high school with all the boys. The class was taught by Coach Brown (the wrestling coach) and all the athletes took the class and chewed tobacco the whole time.
32. I guess that's why I received the "Drafting Award" my senior year.
33. I played the piano for two years and the flute for two years.
34. I quit because they interfered with sports.
35. I wish I had kept with piano or flute, because those are skills I could use today (especially after marrying a musician!)
36. I was super involved with everything in high school.
37. I played volleyball (our team went to state 3 of the years I was there)
38. I ran track (mile relay, 100 meter hurdles and 400 meter hurdles)
39. I was on student council, wrote for the school paper, was involved with Young Life, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, was in the musical Bye, Bye Birdie, etc.
40. I actually enjoyed high school (is that bad to admit?)
41. We had an exceptional class though... just ask anyone that went to Red Bank and they'll tell you
42. I got sick when I was 16.
43. I was in the hospital forever, and they finally diagnosed me with Wegener's Granulomatosis. read about it here
44. I had to go on chemotherapy and missed the last half of my junior year of high school
45. I still got a 4 on the AP U.S. History test (this is an inside joke because my history teacher constantly told the other kids in the class that there was NO WAY Carmen would pass the test! I showed him!)
46. I went to Auburn University
47. I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Auburn- it was the only school I applied to. I was actually accepted in April of my junior year of high school!
48. I am a third generation Auburn graduate- I guess you could say I was bred to go there
49. Hopefully my children will attend there, but my husband will oppose this. He is a UGA Dawg fan.
50. I still love him though.
51. My dad barely let him marry me.
52. I was in a sorority at Auburn :Delta Delta Delta
53. I met some wonderful girls there, but most of my best friends I met at the Auburn BCM
54. One of my proudest accomplishments is that I set up my friend from the BCM, Brad, with one of my sorority sisters, Brooke, for a formal. Now they are married with a child! Check out their blog here
53. I started at Auburn in Architecture, but had to leave the major due to my health. Many of you have heard how grueling "Summer Option" was at Auburn, and I had to drop out.
54. So I wound up majoring in Marketing, mostly because it was the more "creative" side of business
55. One of my dreams is to go back to school and "finish what I started"... I want to earn an Interior Design degree and follow in my mother's footsteps.
56. I love college football
57. I have gone to Auburn football games since I was a little girl.
58. I miss going to football games now that I am "grown up"
59. After I graduated from Auburn, I got a job in Nashville, TN
60. I was one of the few people there who was NOT there for music
61. I got a "real" job at the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA)
62. One of my best friends, Joy (who tagged me), moved there with me
63. We had a GREAT time growing up together in the "real" world and with our roommate Keri
64. I dated several goofballs before meeting Scott at The People's Church in Franklin, TN
65. I actually tried to set Scott up with Joy and Keri before deciding to date him myself
66. I know that sounds weird, but it's true.
67. Scott and I met in the singles group (the Pathfinders) at church.
68. I worked at TVA for 5 years. Just enough time to be fully vested
69. It was a great first job. I got all kinds of training and was involved in developing two new products. Check them out here and here
70. I also made some wonderful friends there... I still keep in contact with many of them.
71. I had a kidney transplant at age 24 due to my sickness mentioned in #43
72. I was working at TVA and people donated their leave so that I would get paid for the 8 weeks I was off after the surgery. That shows you what a great company it is...
73. My mother donated her kidney to me
74. I never had to go on dialysis which was wonderful
75. I had my surgery at Vanderbilt hospital and my mom was the third person they performed laproscopic surgery for kidney donation on. pretty amazing.
76. Therefore I have three kidneys, but only one works.
77. That is another post for another day.
78. Scott and I had only been married for 6 months when I had the surgery. He was such a trooper.
79. I was in the hospital on our first Valentine's Day together
80. We have been married for almost 6 years now. Wow, time flies.
81. We have two puppies and one cat
82. They all have Russian names. Gorbachev (Gorbs)- The cat, Alexandra (Lexie)- the beagle and Anastastia (Anna)- the labrador/sharpei mix
83. We love them dearly (well, Scott is not especially fond of the cat)
84. We want to have children one day
85. Hopefully we'll be able to have one biological child and then we hope to adopt
86. We moved to Macon in 2005 for a job for Scott at Ingleside Baptist Church
87. I have held a myriad of jobs since living here, including Director of Tourism and Public Relations with a local Chamber of Commerce and Sales Representative for cabinet manufacturers. Now I am working part-time at another local Chamber of Commerce and am doing some freelance marketing/public relations for a large EMS corporation in Macon.
88. I love the flexibility of these jobs
89. We love our house. Every house in our neighborhood has at least three acres.
90. We have three acres with lots of mature trees.
91. I love trees. See my previous post about the lovely trees in Macon entitled, "Tree, please"
92. Mexican food is my favorite
93. I also love bleeps (big sour, sweet tart-like candies) and sour patch kids
94. I love all animals. I just rescued a baby bird from my cat yesterday.
95. I want to foster animals with a local rescue agency, but Scott won't let me. He says I'll get too attached
96. I love to sing. I sing in the choir at Ingleside and occasionally on the Praise Team.
97. I am a second soprano. This is not just a part in the choir, it is a way of life. If you knew the other seconds, you'd understand.
98. I enjoy taking Sunday afternoon naps
99. I am just beginning to learn photography. I actually help shoot a wedding a few weekends ago. Scott got me a digital SLR camera for Christmas
100. And above all else, I am a Christian. I hope that people see Christ's love through me every day.

That was long and hard. And it pretty well describes me: Random.
I now tag Gina B, Keri T, Brooke S. and Scott. Don't expect to see 100 things about him, though. :)

5 comments:

Alison said...

I just want it to be on the record that Huntsville is clearly superior to Chattanooga since they teach cursive earlier :). Oh, and Maddie will always love Chad!

Brad said...

Chad is now officially available if Maddie is still interested.

Ashley Turnbull said...

Carmen, these were fun to read, and I feel like I know you that much better! Also, I loved hearing that you set up Brad and Brooke. I knew Brooke because one of my sorority sisters and a roommate were from Cedartown - small world! Oh, and I think you also knew my roommate Emmie Wayland from Chattanooga. I spend many weekends and fun times in C-town with her and the family. She and her husband just moved back there...ps you need to post some of your photography.

Gypsy Girl said...

I will respond to your tag after I finish my 15 pg and 20 pg papers. :) 4 weeks 'til I'm done...wahoo!!

Gina Bucy said...

Oh my gosh....that was freaking awesome and hilarious!! I was going to comment on the posts above this one, but I cannot explain the entertainment value I got out of it. You are so creative and awesome!!

When I get to it I'll accept the tag and answer it myself.

Can't wait to see you this weekend!! : )