Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day to everyone,


Now I am not a huge environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do care about the earth and what happens to it. And of course, everyone knows I'm a "tree-hugger" (see my previous post entitled "Trees, please...") Scott and I do our small part by recycling and energy conservation, but I know there's a lot more that we can do.

I used to work at the Tennessee Valley Authority and working there made me much more aware of environmental issues. While working with the Green Power Switch program, Energy Right program and Generation Partners programs, I was constantly having my ear bent by environmentalists trying to encourage TVA to do more for the environment. Many of them were irrational with their desires (i.e. "Let's all go OFF the grid!"), but many of them were caring people with big hearts who just wanted to protect the earth for future generations.

I know my friends in Nashville are working hard right now to do everything they can to promote energy efficiency and renewable energy, as this is the busiest time of the year for marketing these type of products. I'm proud of them and I'm proud that I was a part of creating programs that will make a lasting impression for years to come.

Here's my plug: If you live in an area served by TVA, go sign up for a block of Green Power!

2 comments:

Gypsy Girl said...

Right now I am trying to save the earth by not printing my notes to write this paper. Somehow I know that switching screens instead of printing pages upon pages of notes is helping. :)

Jennifer said...

Carmen! I found your blog yesterday through Scott's blog, which I found through your MySpace!
How are you?
I have a blog as well - http://perspectivefromtheparsonage.blogspot.com

Would love to catch up sometime!
Blessings,
Jennifer (Parker) Julian