Saturday, April 12, 2008

Saving the Evidence...

Scott made me aware of the poor, baby zebra that was found grazing on I-75 near Locust Grove, GA. We live about 40 miles from Locust Grove right off of I-75, so I was interested in the location as well as the subject matter. I am an animal lover! I would take any animal and raise it if I could. Just ask Scott...I am forever bringing in baby animals (i.e. squirrels, rabbits, etc) and asking if I can "keep" them. I'm not sure what his hangup is! I think we have reached our limit of animals with two dogs and a cat, but if I was a vet, we would have a zoo!

Anyway, this poor zebra was found grazing right off of I-75 and apparently had fallen out of a truck or trailer and then hit by another vehicle. The police began referring to him as 'evidence', so the name stuck!

One of the most interesting parts of the story to me is the fact that the zebra was sent to Auburn University's vet school for surgery and treatment, when UGA's vet school was right up the road. Do you think this is "evidence" to the quality of the schools? :)

Check out the story here.

3 comments:

Bull said...

I think the real lesson from this is that we really need to have tighter security on our animal transportation vehicles. A zebra falling off the truck is one thing...who doesn't like zebras? But I think we can all agree that if a lion or two fell off the truck, we would be some kind of screwed. The first presidential candidate that makes this a priority gets my vote.

Carmen's Blog of Useles Facts... said...

You are right, Bull. This is a real issue that needs to be addressed. Thank you for helping me look at this story from a different angle.

Scott said...

Bull,

I am sorry that I can't agree with you on this one. As much as I admire your fortitude in putting out your opinion, I see the whole issue of animal transportation as not about which animal fell off. Why does one animal have to be "better" than another animal? What is better or worse about a lion than a zebra. That smacks of animal prejudice to me. PETA would love to hear that. In all honesty, I see the whole issue as murky. It's just not really that black and white to me.

(whew, that was a long set-up for a zebra joke!)