Friday, April 4, 2008

Hair today, gone tomorrow...

I have never had good hair. You can comment all you want about how this "not true!" but the truth is I have thin, mousy brown hair (with a touch of gray.) My husband, on the other hand, has beautiful, thick, perfectly textured hair. Just ask our hairdresser. In fact, I got my hair cut/colored today and our hairdresser spent most of the time commenting on how Scott has "great hair." It's one of those unfair things in life, such as when men have super-thick, long eyelashes. These are some of the great injustices of the world.

However, you will rarely, if ever, hear me complain about my hair. You see, when I was 16 I lost all of it due to chemotherapy. Many of you know me and know that I have an autoimmune disease that eventually led to the destruction of my kidneys and a kidney transplant. When they were first diagnosing me with this disease, I was so sick that chemotherapy was the only option to wipe out my immune system and thus keep the disease under control. So here was this 16 year old who was scared for her life, AND lost all her hair. I even went to prom wearing a wig. Sometimes I think I was braver then than I am today. But when you go through those sort of situations, you realize that God gives you the strength to get through. It's happened again and again to me. But I digress... back to the topic at hand, er, hair.

You don't realize how much you take things for granted until they are gone. It was like that for me with the hair loss. Even when I was feeling much better and the disease was somewhat under control, I still had the bald head as evidence of being "sick". So, you can imagine my elation when my hair returned for my senior year! I vowed then that I would never take my hair for granted. Even when I am having a "bad" hair day, I remind myself that it's a "at least I have hair day!"

I'm sure there are many of you out there that can relate to this story because you've been there yourself! Is there anything you didn't realize you took for granted until it was gone?

3 comments:

John said...

Ahhh, I see. Your husband tells us all to send you link love and your blog says we have to "earn" your approval.

Ha.

Well, let me introduce . . . me.

I am JVo. I have a blog. It is cool. You need to link it. I will do the same for you. Find me at http://www.johnvoelz.com

Welcome to the blogosphere.

John said...

I am assuming you aren't really "offended" at how I linked you based on your sense of humor I am starting to pick up on.

Yes, you have your own identity. I listed you like that just to see if you would go check out it. Knowing you would. Which you did. Ha ha.

I have changed it. And now, you will go look again. I know.

Glad you like my art. Thanks!

Gypsy Girl said...

Something I've been thinking about for a while is how I was such a poor steward of the 5 1/2 months God gave me of rest before moving me to Texas. I now yearn for the free time to have to just sit in his presence and drink in his word. A change is coming. I will do my best to be attentive to those moments that are quiet and perfect for listening to his sweet voice. Thanks Car for reflecting and reminding me of how truly blessed we are! I love you!!!