Sunday, April 6, 2008

Trees, please...

I love trees. I guess you can say I'm a bit of a tree hugger. (Alison, Garet and Bull, remember that pic of me hugging the giant redwood in Cali?) I grew up on beautiful Signal Mountain, TN surrounded by trees. When Scott almost moved me to Ft. Worth, TX after getting married, I wanted to live on a flood plain because it was the only place with big trees! We've bought two houses that needed work over brand new ones because of the big yards and the mature trees. You can't put a price on mature trees in my opinion.


One of the things I LOVE about Macon, GA is the thousands of yoshino cherry trees everywhere. Here's a useless fact for you: Macon, GA is THE Cherry Blossom Capital of the World, according to Congressional records. There are over 300,000 yoshino cherry trees in Macon. Yes, you read that right, over 300,000!

It all began with a a couple of concerned citizens who had a dream of these graceful trees populating and identifying Macon with beauty. Today, a foundation donates thousands of trees a year to the citizens of Macon, securing its title of Cherry Blossom Capital of the World. (These trees also bring thousands of tourist dollars into the community for the annual Cherry Blossom Festival, a top 20 event in the south and top 50 event in the U.S)

I've lived in several cities, and I have to give a shout out to Macon. I'm not sure there's a place on earth as beautiful as Macon during the early spring with these thousands of trees in bloom. What a great thing to be known for! I'll be sure to hug some this year for you...

To learn more about the International Cherry Blossom Festival visit their website at : http://www.cherryblossom.com/

5 comments:

Alison said...

Who could forget that experience! Do you remember the Asian people getting inside the trees for a picture and Bull video taping everyone so they would think they were famous people. That trip is still one of my favorite ones ever!

Ashley Turnbull said...

Carmen - we Turnbulls have definitely gone to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Macon. Our friends, the Treadwells, lived there, and we visited them when we were dating. Beautiful! Love the pictures...maybe we will hug some redwoods in 2 weeks =)

Bull said...

What an inspirational tribute to Macon. You should do marketing for the city, in some sort of professional capacity.

The Canada's said...

I'm going to have to visit Macon! I just got to Nashville and noticed these trees blooming and was wondering what they were. They are beautiful!

-Lindsey

Gypsy Girl said...

Bull's comment made me smile. I definitely miss those lovely mature trees. I have found a few place to go just to visit the trees here in DFW. Maybe one day I can make it to Macon in the early spring. :)